Skip to main content

Final Yoga Journal

Ritual and Practice:
While attending yoga classes regularly this semester, I have noticed several rituals that are present in my yoga practice. First, at the start of every class, the teacher always asks the class what they want to get out of the practice and tells us to close our eyes and "set an intention for our practice". At times, I didn't actually set an intention for myself, but when I did, it was usually to de-stress. Sometimes, I also wanted to stretch my muscles. We always start class by chanting "om" three times with our hands together. This same start to the class every time is one ritual that the teacher uses. Additionally, we always end class by chanting "om" one time with our hands together, similar to the beginning of class. I think that these rituals help create a sense of community, because we all do them at exactly the same time and in the same way. They also signal the beginning and ending of the class. Other than that, I'm not sure of their exact purpose. The 2 teachers that I have had throughout the semester both spoke in a calm, soft voice. They also didn't rush their speaking, but talked slowly and chose their words carefully. Their voices relaxed me, and I think that they purposefully used those soft voices to calm the class and to help keep us relaxed during practice. Although the teacher is teaching us postures and breathing techniques, I think what she is really trying to teach through the use of postures and breathing is how to be tuned in to your body and how you are feeling.
Anatomy and Practice:
The teacher used some anatomical terms during class, but mostly used laymen's terms that everyone could understand. For example, she would often say "sit bones", instead of saying "the ischial tuberosity". She also recognized that not everyone has the same flexibility or is built the same way, and gave the class several options for most postures. This would usually involve using blocks to either make a posture easier, or make it more intense. I think this benefited the class because it prevented people from doing a posture that may have been too intense or could have hurt them.
Health Benefits and Practice:
Although my teacher did mention some health benefits that yoga may have, she did not make any hard-to-believe claims, like that yoga will cure cancer or eradicate any disease. The claims that she did make made sense to me. I happened to be in an anatomy and physiology class during this semester, so I tried to compare what I learned about muscles and stretching to my yoga class and the claims that my teacher made. For example, she would often claim that the deep stretching we did during class would increase our flexibility and stretch our connective tissue. Having learned the benefits of stretching in anatomy, I knew that this was true. Also, I knew that the connective tissue that she was referring to was tendons and ligaments. Having some background knowledge about anatomy and muscle physiology definitely helped me evaluate the claims that my teacher made, as well as claims made by other people or seen online.
Philosophy and Practice:
Philosophy that we learned about in class was not a noticeable part of my yoga practice. No references, at least none that I picked up one, were made to the ideas of karma, detachment from actions, enlightenment, or any other ideas that were presented in the texts we covered. This is probably because the teacher that I had most of the time did not have a strict definition of yoga or what we are supposed to get out of it. Instead, she recognized that yoga is different for everyone, and that we might all get different things out of it. Because of this, she didn't make any statements about how we should live our lives outside of yoga class. I liked how she brought individuality into the class by leaving things open to us. After this experience, I have realized that there is no one clear definition of yoga. What yoga really is depends on the person, because for one person, it might be a great stretch after a workout, while for someone else it might be a break from their constant anxiety. As long as it is benefiting the individual and is not harming anyone, everyone's definition is acceptable. This experience has also given me a better understanding of how yoga is a form of trendy fitness in the western world today, and that we mostly use it as a way to connect with other people and fit in to today's society.
                                                                                                                     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashtanga Yoga- 2/22/18

If I had to sum up our in-class Ashtanga practice in one word, I would say challenging. The fact that it was challenging made it an enjoyable class, because I like exercise that challenges me and forces me to work hard. The most difficult aspect of the class was getting into some of the poses because they required so much flexibility, and I am only moderately flexible. The class stretched my entire body, especially my legs, which made me feel good afterwards. One aspect of the class that made a community atmosphere was how the entire class was arranged in a circle, with all of us facing towards each other. This brought a sense of togetherness to the class because everyone was facing each other instead of being in rows towards the front of the room. Another aspect of the class that made it feel like a community was how the class would look at each other for help for some of the moves. Because of this, we weren't doing yoga individually, but rather looking to our neighbors to see how

Yoga Journal 2/15/18

This week, I attended a different yoga class than usual. I attended class at the trlc with a different teacher named Jason. I immediately noticed that the class size was significantly smaller than the class I usually take. I was one of about five people at the class. The small size allowed Jason to tailor the class to what each of us wanted, which made the practice more enjoyable. The class focused greatly on arm and shoulder strength through poses like downward dog and holding planks and side planks. I am realizing that I tend to favor strengthening poses over poses that don't require any body strength, so I enjoyed this class and its focus on strengthening. The atmosphere wasn’t also different than what I am used to because the trlc is quiet, and the teacher played soft music in the background, making the space much more calming than the lodge with its noisy kitchen.

Meditation Journal 4/5/18

I'll have to admit, I was not looking forward to our in-class meditation. Having never meditated before, I thought it would be painfully boring and that I would not get anything out of it. My mind was definitely changed! I really enjoyed the meditation because it gave me a brief 20 minutes free from the constant worries, stresses, and thoughts that are always flooding my mind. I did not realize how those stresses can have a negative effect on me mentally until they stopped for a little while. The feeling is hard to put words to, but it felt like I was mentally refreshed; like my mind was a clean slate to start over with. The closest thing I can compare the experience to is a runner's high, which I have experienced several times before. I never realized how focusing so intently can feel like you're not thinking at all. Now that I have a better understanding of how meditation works and why it can be useful, I can see why meditation is often incorporated into yoga classes. How